Does an electric Fire need a special outlet?

In our showroom, one of the most frequently asked questions about electric fires is “Does an electric Fire need a special outlet?” There seems to be a common misconception that electric fires use up a lot of electricity and therefore need to be on a different circuit or have a special electric outlet.

Electric fireplaces are safety tested and easy to install, just plug them into your normal mains electric outlet, if you don’t have an electric socket close to where you want to put your fire you may want to consider getting a plug socket installed or building a false wall to hire the wires, this will make it look more tidy and impressive.

Can I plug an electric fire into an extension lead?

Whilst electric fires are very safe, we recommend you only plug into a mains socket, do not use an extension lead as the extension lead wire can get knocked, or the extension lead could overhear and become a hazard. Whilst the electric fire is very safe you should never overload an extension lead or multiple extension leads.

 

electric fire

 

How close can an electrical socket be to a fireplace?

The length of the wire from your electric fire will dictate how close the socket can be, the National Electric Code (NEC) does not have any specific requirements over distance from the fireplace and as a fireplace only emits heat from the fan it is perfectly safe near an electric socket and other electrical appliances (such as your TV or media center) as long as the temperature stays below 38 degrees Celcius at the point of the other appliance.

Electric sockets in residential rooms should comply with the 6/12 spacing requirements, this comes from the NEC and states that in a living area of a home, you must keep an electrical socket (outlet) 6 feet from any obstruction or break in the wall, such as a doorway, and should be no more than 12 feet from the previous electrical socket. Therefore you need to consider this if you plan to install an extra electrical socket/outlet to be closer to your fireplace.